Sutton United F.C.
The crest of Sutton United FC is thought to date back to the Charter Celebrations of 1934, when the Urban Borough of Sutton became the Sutton & Cheam Borough Council.
The Sutton United crest bears much resemblance to the arms granted to the new council on 16th October 1934, although certain colours have been changed, with the motto, "Serve God and Be Cheeful", replaced by the club name.
The sheild's four central crosses are taken from the arms of the See of Canterbury, which held Cheam for over five hundred years from 1018. The keys are those of St Peter and are taken the arms of the Benedictine Abbey of Chertsey, which owned Sutton at the time of the Domesday survey.
The popinjay (or parrot) is from the arms of the Lumley family - ancient Lords of the Manor of Cheam. In its claw, the popinjay holds a fifth cross of Canterbury.
In 1966, the Sutton & Cheam Borough Council became part of a larger London Borough of Sutton with new (and altered) arms being granted.
Thanks to Tony Dolbear, Press Officer at Sutton United FC, for the above crest and information. (Additional information from Civic Heraldry website.)
<< Stocksbridge Park Steels F.C. - Football Crests of England - Swindon Town F.C. >>