FC Clacton was formed in June 2007 after the demise of the 115 year old Clacton Town Football Club. Formed by four local men the new club inherited the assets of the Clacton Town Football Club Ltd in 2006 and reconstituted the club with a community based structure.
A community interest company, FC Clacton CIC, was set up to run the senior teams and bar. All other teams, the changing rooms and ground is administered by FC Clacton CASC Ltd, as a Community Amateur Sports Club.
The club played it's first season in the first division of the Ridgeon Eastern Counties League with former Colchester United and Fulham player John Reeves and David Coyle as joint first-team Manager.
FC Clacton also required a brand new crest which combines the below elements (from the top down):
- An ancient galleon signifies Clacton's maritime heritage.
- The blue section with the white crosslets are from the arms of the D'arcy family of St Osyth who held the Manor of Great Clacton for some time after the reformation.
- The crest of Essex incorporated in the middle of the crest.
- In the red section, the crossed swords are from the arms of the See of London to whom Clacton belonged from the Norman Conquest until 1545.
- The two white scallop shells are emblems of St James to whom the district church at Clacton-on-Sea is dedicated and are also appropriate to a seaside resort.
Thanks to Karl Fuller, webmaster, programme editor and club shop manager at FC Clacton, for the above crest and information.