Maidstone United F.C.
The original Maidstone United FC was formed in 1897, but after becoming giants of the non-league game and spending three seasons in the Football League, folded in 1992.
Reformed the same year as Maidstone Invicta FC, the club is once again on the rise, having changed its name back to Maidstone United.
The crest of Maidstone United FC is in fact an altered version of the coat of arms granted to the Borough of Maidstone itself. Created in 1619 by order of James I, the arms have undergone two major alterations since.
Firstly, in 1949 (to celebrate the town's 400th anniversary of its first Charter of Incorporation) a crest and two supporters were added. Then, 1987, saw the removal of two parchment scrolls (that had been hanging from the collars of the supporters and showing the dates 1549 and 1949).
Looking at the crest from top to bottom:
The 'Invicta' Horse's head (taken from the arms of the County of Kent) sits on a mural crown (representing municipal government) and wears a chaplet of hops (a produce for which the district is famous).
Two supporters, a golden lion rampant (representing England) and an Iguanodon (one of the earliest known inhabitants of the area, the remains of one having been found locally in 1834) flank a shield.
The shield itself bears a golden lion passant on a red field (again representing England and similar to those found on the arms of Canterbury and Rochester, signifying a Royal Charter), a wavy blue fesse, representing the local River Medway, and three red roundels, taken from the arms of the Archbishop Courtenay, who built All Saints Church during the 14th century.
A motto shows the club name. It is this element that has been changed from the arms of the Borough (where the motto displayed is "Agriculture and Commerce").
Thanks to Jonathan Parr, Webmaster at Maidstone United FC, for the above crest and information. (Additional information from Civic Heraldry and Digital Maidstone websites.)
<< Maidstone Athletic F.C. - Football Crests of England - Moor Green F.C. >>