gap Connah's Quay F.C.
The first Connah's Quay football club was founded in 1890, playing in the Golftyn area of the town close to the present stadium. The club reached the Welsh Cup finals of 1908 and 1911, losing respectively to Chester and Wrexham, but was disbanded soon afterwards.
A new club, Connah's Quay & Shotton, was formed in 1920, renting land at the rear of the Halfway House hotel from the Northgate Brewery, and becoming members of the Welsh National League (North), as a fully professional outfit, in 1922.
In 1928, the club moved to Dee Park, Shotton and won both the Welsh National League (North) championship and the prestigious Welsh Cup in 1929. Six months later, however, Connah's Quay & Shotton folded with debts totalling more than £1,000, leaving Connah's Quay Albion to carry the town's soccer banner through the second war.
Formed in July 1946 as Connah's Quay Juniors, the present-day club was the brainchild of the Everton and Wales centre-half Tommy (T.G.) Jones, a native of the town. By natural progression a senior team was formed and joined the Flintshire League in 1948.
Prior to the 1952/53 season, the club's suffix was changed to the Nomads and the team ventured into the Welsh League (North). The club's home since 1946 was the Halfway Ground, but in July 1998 the Nomads moved into the newly-constructedDeeside Stadium.
The centrepiece of the club's crest is a large stylised sailing ship riding the ocean's waves, which reflects the town's nautical heritage and location by the sea. The word "gap" at the top of the crest stands for the club's owner and sponsor, Welsh-founded recruitment agency Gap Personnel. The company took over Connah's Quay Nomads FC in June 2008.
Thanks to the webmaster at gap Connah's Quay Football Club, for the above crest and information.
<< Ely Rangers AFC - Football Crests of Wales - Merthyr Tydfil F.C. >>