Billericay Town F.C.
The current crest of Billericay Town FC is believed to have been created when the club gained senior status in 1971. Since then, the font used for the club name has been altered, but the overall effect of the crest remains as it was when first used.
On 6th September 1620, a ship of some 180 tons sailed from Plymouth to begin a voyage to New England. That ship was 'The Mayflower' and amongst its 100 passengers were four or five from the town of Billericay. Later settlers in Massachusetts formed many townships bearing Essex names - one of which is 'Billerica'.
'The Mayflower' is therefore used to represent Billericay FC (and also a number of other organisations in the town of Billericay despite it being a several miles from the sea).
The image of 'The Mayflower' can also be found on the crest of two other football clubs - Boston United and Plymouth Argyle. Boston, in Lincolnshire, is where 'The Mayflower' originally set out from, while, as mentioned above, Plymouth is from where the vessel left British shores for its trip to New England.
Thanks to Len Dewson, Honorary Football Secretary at Billericay Town FC, for the above crest and information.
<< Berwick Rangers F.C. - Football Crests of England - Blyth Spartans AFC >>