Oxford United F.C.
Formed in 1893 as Headington FC (and subsequently Headington United FC), the club changed its name to Oxford United FC in 1960 and joined the English Football League two years later.
The City of Oxford was initially a market town at a point where cattle could 'ford' the river. The club crest, therefore, depicts an 'ox' crossing the 'ford' over the River Isis (Thames).
The overall design of the crest has changed several times over the years. Originally the ox was shown in full, but during the late 1970s (when the crest first resembled that used today) the image was changed so that only the head of the ox was shown.
Having been updated several times since, the current version of the club crest was created in 2001 by one of the club stewards, Rob Alderman, to coincide with the club's move from its traditional Manor Ground home to the new Kassam Stadium. In addition to the head of an ox and river crossing - shown using the club colours of yellow and blue - the club name is also displayed.
On 11 June 2003, Oxford United FC became the 100th club to have its crest featured on the FootballCrests.com website.
Thanks to Chris Williams, Website & Programme Editor at Oxford United FC, for the above crest and information.