Nunhead F.C.

Current Nunhead FC Crest Formed as Wingfield House FC in 1888, Nunhead FC is a club that became a victim of the Second World War. Ceasing day-to-day operations in 1941, the club survived on paper until 1949 when it resigned from the Football Association and officially folded.

Many football clubs didn't use any club crest prior to the war, but it is known that Nunhead FC had used at least two different designs by the mid-1930s.

The crest displayed top right first appeared around 1934, being visible on a team photo from the 1934/35 season. It's simple shield design shows a scroll featuring the letters 'NFC' (standing for 'Nunhead Football Club'). It is believed that this crest was in use until the club's demise.

Former Nunhead FC Crest From 1927 (and possibly before) the club used the crest shown to the left. A different shield shape shows the letters 'NFSC' linked together across two coloured sections (thought to be the club colours of blue and white). There is uncertainty as to the meaning of the letter 'S' although it probably stands for 'Sports' as the football club was officially just one section of 'Nunhead Sports Club' at the time. (In 1930, however, this umbrella organisation was wound up and the football section's assets and liabilities tranferred to a newly created Nunhead Football Club.)

Nunhead Football Club was a non-league giant of its day. Champions of the Isthmian League on two occasions (1929 & 1930), the Surrey Senior Cup (1908) and the London Senior Cup (1923), Nunhead's best performance in the FA Cup was reaching the second round proper during the 1926/27 season.

Bizarrely the club still holds a unique double record of being involved in the two record victory matches by non-league clubs in the FA Cup competition proper. Nunhead beat Kingstonian 9-0 in the first round match during the 1926/27 season, before suffering a similar 9-0 defeat at the hands of Bath City in a first round encounter five years later.

The club's most famous ex-player is Dennis Compton who represented Nunhead during the 1934/35 season before moving to Arsenal FC. He then went on to represent England at both football and cricket (although his eleven football caps were omitted from official records as they were gained during war years).

Thanks to Mick Blakeman, Author - 'Nunhead Football Club - 1888-1949', and Dave Twydell of Yore Publications, for the above crests and information.


<< Nuneaton Borough AFC - Football Crests of England - Offerton Villa F.C. >>



Nunhead F.C.

  • Club location:
    England
  • Club colours:
    White & Blue
  • Club formed:
    1888
  • Crest created:
    1934
  • Stadium:
    Club Defunct
  • Website:
    Unknown
  • Page added:
    22 Oct 2002
  • Page views:
    8,349

  • Ownership of the crest(s) on this page belongs to Nunhead Football Club

§ © 2000 - 2013 FootballCrests.com All Rights Reserved Privacy Statement §