Bury Town F.C.

Current Bury Town FC CrestBury Town FC is based in the ancient market town of Bury St Edmunds. The club's current crest was designed in 1990 by club members, in conjunction with St Edmundsbury Borough Council, after club officials decided that the club's image needed modernising.

The crest's centre is a shield similar to the arms of the Borough of St Edmundsbury (the Borough in which Bury Town FC is based). The ancient crown and crossed arrows were also seen in the arms of the former Borough Council of Bury St Edmunds. They represent the crown of Edmund, the Martyr King of East Anglia from whom the town (Bury St Edmunds) takes its name; the arrows referring to the manner of his death in 869AD - at the hands of Danish invaders - for refusing to renounce his Christian faith.

According to traditional accounts King Edmund and his army fought a battle against the Danish - but were defeated - with the King being captured by the Danes, tied to a tree and then shot at until he eventually died.

The crest is completed in the club's official colours of blue and white with the full club name shown in a ring around the central shield.

Thanks to Christopher Ward, Programme Editor and Website Manager at Bury Town FC, for the above crest and information.


<< Buntingford Town F.C. - Football Crests of England - Cammell Laird F.C. >>



Bury Town F.C.

  • Club location:
    England
  • Club colours:
    Blue and White
  • Club formed:
    1872
  • Crest created:
    1990
  • Stadium:
    Ram Meadow
  • Website:
    Bury Town F.C.
  • Page added:
    28 Feb 2005
  • Page views:
    15,811

  • Ownership of the crest(s) on this page belongs to Buntingford Town Football Club

§ © 2000 - 2016 FootballCrests.com All Rights Reserved Privacy Statement §