Whitby Town F.C.
Whitby Town FC was formed in 1926 following the amalgamation of the town's two senior sides, Whitby Whitehall Swifts and Whitby United.
The club uses the official town arms as its crest. On it, three snake-stones (or ammonities - which are old fossils often found on Whitby beach) sit on a blue and white shield. According to legend, Abbess Hilda rounded up the serpents that swarmed around Whitby Abbey and threw them from the top of the local cliffs, ripping off their heads and turning them to stone. It is these that are portrayed on the local arms.
The wavy blue sections on the shield represent the town's seaside geographical position and maritime history. Whitby is, of course, the former home and sailing point from which Captain James Cook began his explorations.
The latin motto, 'FVIMVA ET SVMVS' means 'we have been and will be'.
Thanks to Andrew Snaith, Press Officer at Whitby Town FC, for the above crest and information. (Additional information from International Civic Heraldry website.)