Vauxhall Motors F.C.
Vauxhall Motors FC was formed in 1963 as a factory works side.
Despite having progressed through many leagues to the club's Unibond (Northern Premier) League, Premier Division position of today, the link with Vauxhall Motors Limited, who manufacture cars, remains strong.
The club's crest is in fact that of Vauxhall Motors Limited, and as well as being seen at Rivacre Park and on the Vauxhall Motors FC club shirts, can be seen at car showrooms and factories across the world!
The crest itself - which shows a griffin - has its roots planted in the 13th century when King John (of Magna Carta fame) employed the military services of Fulk le Breant. In return for his efforts, Fulk was made Sheriff of Oxford and Hertford while being granted the Manor of Luton and the right to bear arms. He chose the griffin as his heraldic symbol.
Through marriage, Fulk gained property on the south bank of the River Thames and this area became known as 'Fulks Hall'. Over the years, however, the name was changed several times until it became known as 'Vauxhall'.
In 1857, when Scottish engineer, Alexander Wilson, founded the Vauxhall Iron Works in South London, he adopted the griffin of Fulk as the company crest. From those beginnings nearly 150 years ago, Vauxhall Motors Limited, and then Vauxhall Motors FC, flourished.
Thanks to Carole Paisey, Secretary at Vauxhall Motors FC, for the above crest and information. (Additional information from the Vauxhall Motors Limited website.)