Cove Football Club was formed in 1897 by a group of local people playing on a field behind their favourite Public House. Moving to a more central location, Cove Green became their home until 1973, when they moved to their present ground at Oak Farm.
Playing their football in the Surrey Leagues, Cove enjoyed success for many years, winning more than their fair share of silverware, including the League Championship three years in succession and a double in that period. Over the years the club have also had stints in the Hampshire Leagues, Vauxhall League (now Ryman League) and the Combined Counties League where the club currently reside.
The club's attractive crest was designed by Ron Brown (who in 1990 received an FA award for 50 years service to Cove FC) as a shield which can be seen within the outer circle of the current badge. The background was amber with a black inverted "T" with the words Cove Football Club in an arc around the point of the shield.
The symbols are:
The Red Rose - the rose of the County of Hampshire.
The Fern and Cross - signify the cross of St Swithan, the patron saint of Wessex (before it became Hants, Dorset and Wiltshire). The fern relates to Ferneberga which later through time and translation became Farnborough.
The Book and Date - the Doomsday Book in which Cove and Farnborough are both mentioned with 1897 being our year of foundation.
A new revised crest was designed in 1990, adding the outer circle and changing the shield colour. This new design was later to be awarded the "Non-League Club badge of the Year", commemorated by a plaque hanging in Cove F.C.'s boardroom.
Thanks to Karen Stratton, Club Website Administrator Cove F.C., for the above crest and information.