Clydebank F.C.

Last Clydebank FC Crest At the end of the 2001/02 season, Airdrieonians FC went out of business. The club was replaced in the Scottish Football League by Gretna FC, ahead of a bid from the new Airdrie United FC, formed from the ashes of the old Airdrieonians club.

Sadly, Clydebank FC then became the second Scottish League club to go out of business during 2002. An 11th hour bid to save the club failed before it was effectively bought-out by the new Airdrie United FC (who took up Clydebank's Second Division fixtures for 2002/03).

The Clydebank FC club name, crest and kit were, as requested, transferred to the fans organisation 'United Clydebank Supporters' (UCS). This organisation has since proved successful in re-establishing Clydebank FC (now owned by the 'UCS Football Trust') in the Scottish Junior League system for the 2003/04 season.

The crest of Clydebank FC is very interesting and similar to the Clydebank District Council coat of arms (originally used by the Burgh of Clydebank from 1930).

A red saltire cross divides the rest of the crest into four sections. The origins of the cross are debatable. It is either that of Saint Patrick, or taken from the coat of arms of the powerful Earls of Lennox who ruled over parts of Dumbartonshire (Stirlingshire) and beyond during the 13th century.

The cog-wheel is a reference to local industries such as the manufacturing of sewing machines. It could perhaps relate, in particular, to weaving (in the 18th and 19th centuries) which relied on waterwheel power.

A 'castle-like' icon represents part of the Roman Antonine's Wall and the local Roman forts of Old Kilpatrick and Greenhill.

A galleon (or lymphad) symbolises the town's connections with the shipbuilding industry on the River Clyde.

The fourth "quarter"; made by the red saltire cross is filled by an image of Saint Patrick who was reputedly born just west of Clydebank before crossing the Irish Sea into Ireland. His name, however, lives on in the Clydebank area through the Kilpatrick Hills and the local parishes of Old Kilpatrick and New Kilpatrick ('Kilpatrick' meaning 'Church or House of Patrick').

Alternate Clydebank FC Crest Some versions of the club crest also show the club name and a latin phrase 'Labore et Scientia' (as shown left). This translates into 'By work and knowledge'.

The Clydebank District Council coat of arms now also displays a white dove in the centre of the red cross. This was added in 1985 to represent peace.

Thanks to Scott Richardson, David Munro and Graeme Latimer of 'United Clydebank Supporters' for the above crests and information.


<< Buckie Thistle F.C. - Football Crests of Scotland - Deveronvale F.C. >>



Clydebank F.C.

  • Club location:
    Scotland
  • Club colours:
    Red & White
  • Club formed:
    1965
  • Crest created:
    1930
  • Stadium:
    Glenhead Park
  • Website:
    Clydebank F.C.
  • Page added:
    2 Sep 2002
  • Page updated:
    17 Feb 2016
  • Page views:
    17,820

  • Ownership of the crest(s) on this page belongs to Clydebank Football Club

§ © 2000 - 2016 FootballCrests.com All Rights Reserved Privacy Statement §