Braintree Town F.C.
The crest of Braintree Town FC was designed in October 1987 by Paul Claydon and Jon Weaver, during a rain storm while on holiday!
The club was formed in 1898 as Manor Works FC - a works team of the Crittall Window Company - suppliers to the Titanic and once the leading window makers in the UK. The club's nickname of 'The Iron' also comes from this source (reflecting the company's iron window frames).
The bulk of the club's crest reflects its origins and shows a factory. The roof design displayed is actually that of the old Crittall Garage which overlooked the club's Cressing Road ground before being demolished in 2005. An industrial chimney is shown on the left of the factory and this is mirrored by a floodlight pylon on the right. Between the two is a football (representing the sport played by the club) while beneath the factory is the club's year of formation.
In 1987, when the club's crest was first designed, the team wore yellow shirts with blue pinstripes and these stripes were incorporated into the crest's design. It was felt that these created a rather cluttered effect and the stripes were removed at an early stage. However, on more than one occasion since, the 'wrong' design has been picked up by club officials and incorporated into club blazers and shirts!
It was also thought at this time that the club was formed in 1894, but in the early part of 1994, as plans for centenary celebrations gathered apace, it was confirmed that the club was in fact formed in 1898! This explains why the club issued two centenary lapel badges of different designs in both 1994 and 1998!
In 1994 the club crest was updated with the correct year of formation while the floodlight image was also improved (as shown above right).
During the (correct) centenary year of 1998, the club used a red embroidered image of the factory with scroll banners both above and below it, while a small red and white shield replaced the football. These colours reflected Manor Works FC's first red and white striped shirts with the design of the shield coming from the 1948 Crittall Athletic FC (the club's name from 1921-1981) Supporters Club crest.
Thanks to Jon Weaver, Co-Crest Designer for Braintree Town FC, for the above crest and information.