Accrington Stanley F.C.
The famous club known as Accrington Stanley FC started life in 1891 and played in the English Football League between 1921-1962.
Reformed six years later after a few seasons of local football, the club crest actually dates back further than the club itself.
The town of Accrington was granted a coat of arms in 1879, and it is essentially this that makes up the football club's crest today.
On the shield, the shuttle represents the local cotton spinning industry, while the cylinders and calico represent the method of printing on the cotton.
A stag represents the Hargreaves family of Broad Oak who were closely connected with these local industries, while the lion is that of the ancient family De Lacy, who held Accrington by grant of Henry VII.
The oak branch at the top of the crest is trebly allusive to the town's name, 'Accrington'. It is bent into the shape of its initial letter; oak (Anglo-Saxon 'ac') expresses the first syllable; and the acorns recall the old form of the name, Akerenton.
Completing the crest - in the place of a motto - are the initials of the full club name, 'ASFC'.
Thanks to Robert Heys, Webmaster at Accrington Stanley FC, for the above crest and information.
Football Crests of England - Acton Ealing Whistlers F.C. >>